Thursday, December 23, 2010

Requested "Recipe" for Vegan Roasted Squash Pasta

Someone requested the recipe for Roasted Squash Pasta, which happens to be vegan. Not much of a recipe, really. It is simply roasted winter squash and flour, but the ratio used must work with your pasta maker.

Step 1: Roast Squash. I use an unglazed clay roasting pot by Romertopf (http://www.romertopfonline.com/). In this case I used a portion of a Tahitian squash that my friend, Leynette, grew in her backyard. A Tahitian squash is like a butternut squash, only really, really big. The piece I roasted was 10 inches long, but was only half of the top of the squash! I also have beets in the pan for another pasta. Olive oil has been added to prevent sticking.

  
Step 1: Roast Squash.

Step 2: Remove roasted vegetables when knife or fork can be easily inserted in multiple places.
Step 2: Squash is done when soft throughout as indicated by inserting a fork.
 Step 3: Peel Squash; discard peels but do not discard caramelized brown areas, which will add lots of flavor.
Step 3: Peel Squash.
 Step 4: Puree Squash. In this, I had 489 grams of roasted squash.
Step 4: Puree Squash
 Step 5: Add flour and mix with dough hook until dough forms a tight ball and cleans side of bowl. I add flour (GM Durum Patent Flour, 12.2% protein, 99% ash) until I could get a good tight ball, which was 582 grams of flour, which was roughly 6 parts flour to 5 parts squash. This will vary based on the moisture content of the squash. However, the final test is not the dough moistness in the bowl, it is the ability for the pasta maker to extrude and cut without tearing. I use an Atlas 180 pasta maker, which does NOT have any of the attachments of its "150" cousin (at least it has a motor!). However, I just found out that my Kitchenaide Artisan does have pasta attachments like a ravioli maker. (Hint to Santa)
Step 5: Add flour and mix until dough forms tight ball
Step 6: Extrude and Cut. The first picture below shows what happens when more flour is needed as both extruded sheets and cut noodles will tear and bunch up if not enough flour is added. The dough can be re-mixed with more flour, but in this case I simply dredged the malformed pasta sheet in flour and re-extruded. I extruded these sheets first on "1" a couple of times, then "2" and ended with "3", as I was making Fettuccine. For Angel Hair pasta, I usually end with "5".

Step 6: Extrude (This dough requires more flour)
Step 6a: This sheet had enough flour to properly extrude.
Step 7: Hang noodles to dry. These noodles can immediately be boiled, but I like to dry them slightly whenever possible. Add salt and oil to the water prior to boiling.
Step 7: Hand noodles to Dry (optional)
These noodles are being packaged as gifts.
Packaged noodles (8 ounces each).

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this recipe! I was just thinking about that conversation and came back here look around, and here it is! I believe I still have my ravioli press, now I just need to come up with a filling. Looking forward to trying it out!

    ReplyDelete