Saturday, February 5, 2011

Pound Cake

I'm making a pound cake from a new recipe that someone gave me. It calls for shortening, which I don't normally have, so I bought some. It also calls for powdered milk, but since I don't want to buy, and then store, powdered milk, I excluded the powdered milk and exchanged the water for half-n-half. I think it was an OK compromise -- we'll see.

Stan (my mentor from NYBaker) told me once that, when mixing sugar and butter, you need to mix them for a very long time until the sugar dissolves into the fat. So for this recipe, I let the mixer run quite long until I had a really fluffy batter.

Since I wanted to make this into a layer cake, I used round cake pans instead of loaf pans. I used parchment on the bottom and butter on the sides. As usual, I weighed the cake pans to ensure even distribution.
Baking the Cake (wait for it ...):
Now done:
Make Filling:
After slight cooling, remove and cut, place first layer back and add filling. Top, cover, and chill overnight.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment