Tuesday, October 5, 2010

My first attempt at a Wedding cake 20100925

So, this blog started, in part, because of a request for me to make a wedding cake. So here are the results of my first attempt.


The bride suggested a coconut cake, so I made Martha Stewart's Dreamy Coconut Wedding Cake (http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/recipe/coconut-cake-2). As I mentioned before, this is for my a couple who will be married next October. For this recipe I used GM 100% Purasnow Cake Flour, with 8.2% protein.


The recipe was complex. I used 6, 8, and 10 inch pans. The flour produced a great firm, moist texture -- perfect for a wedding cake. The color was also beautifully white. However, I would have preferred a higher rise to make it a little less dense (the taste testers, however, liked the texture). As the protein percentage is higher than the other cake flour I purchased from you (KA Queen Guinevere Cake Flour, 7% protein), I don't think a different flour will help. I think the problem is my baking powder. Although it tested good with warm water, it was still fairly old. It should be noted that although the cake recipe was complex for an inexperienced wedding cake baker, the frosting was equally complex. However, the texture and flavor was worth it. What I learned here:
  1. I don't like the small amount of difference between the cake pans, which appeared as more of a mound then tiers when the layers were assembled. Instead of 6, 8, and 10 inch pans, I think 6, 10, and 14 inch pans would be better. However, this was a test case, and I made only a single layer for each pan size.
  2. Lots of egg whites produces lots of yolks. What am I going to do with all of them!
  3. The coconut chips I bought from Nuts-Online for placing on the frosting, while pretty and fluffy looking, were dry and chewy. My daughter described them as annoying.
  4. I thought the recipe for 9-1/2 cups of frosting would be too much, so I halved it. What a mistake!
  5. I should look deeper into my cupboards as I later found a brand new container of fresh baking powder.

My first attempt at a Wedding Cake (thankfully I have a year to perfect it)

No comments:

Post a Comment